Degree Options

Graduate students in CAEE can pursue the Master of Science in Engineering (M.S.E.) degree in Civil or Environmental and Water Resources Engineering, as well as the Dual Degree Program in Engineering & Public Affairs. The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree is available in Civil Engineering.

Upon application for admission to the university, graduate students must indicate an area of specialization, generally corresponding to the department's six research areas.

Within CAEE, there are four options available for the M.S. degree, depending on the area of specialization. Requirements for each, as well as the Ph.D. general guidelines, are provided below. Be sure to also read the Miscellaneous Rules for All Graduate Students.


Master of Science degree:

Regardless of which option you choose, the minimum requirement for graduation is 30 hours.  All courses in your area must be taken for a grade, and no more than 50% of your supporting courses may be taken on a credit/no credit basis.  All students are required to complete at least 6 hours outside the major area.  For all options, the name of the degree is Master of Science in Engineering.

M.S. Thesis Option

M.S. Graduate School Report Option

M.S. Departmental Report Option

M.S. Coursework Only Option


Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) degree:

Ph.D. Guidelines

Dual Master of Science/Master of Public Affairs degree:

Dual Degree Program in Engineering & Public Affairs

Graduate Portfolio in Food-Energy-Water Systems

 UT FEWS Portfolio


For brief course descriptions, see UT Catalogs.

For when courses are being offered, see UT Course Schedules.

For past syllabi of courses, see our Course Syllabi page.

For information on our Food-Energy-Water Systems portfolio program, see our
INFEWS Portfolio page.