M.S. Graduate School Report Option

The Master of Science degree may be completed without the preparation of a formal research thesis. Instead, a student may be permitted to enroll in a no-thesis program which involves additional course work (27 hours of organized course work versus 24 hours for a thesis program) and the preparation of an appropriate engineering project. Most graduate students, especially students holding University Fellowships, traineeships or research assistantships, are encouraged to complete a thesis. Students who write a report are encouraged to use the Departmental Report option rather than Graduate School Report option.

For the master’s degree under the report option, your program must include at least twenty-four hours of graduate coursework, including the report. Three semester hours of credit are granted for preparing the report; the student must register for the master’s report course CE 398R or ARE 398R. The student must take this course on the credit/no credit basis and must register for it in the semester that he or she files for graduation. At most six (6) hours of upper division undergraduate coursework may be counted toward the degree.  Some areas may require registration in a seminar, even if it cannot be counted toward the Graduate School degree requirements.

During the first semester of your MS program you should select a supervising professor. By the end of the first semester you and your supervising professor should develop a program of work and select a topic for your report.

Three semester hours of credit will be received for an engineering report which the student must prepare and have approved by a supervisory committee. The committee consists of the supervising professor and at least one additional member of the graduate faculty of the Department of Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering. The report must show evidence of good technical writing and demonstrate communication skills. Civil Engineering and Environmental and Water Resources Engineering majors (code 621700 and 640100 respectively) register for CE 398R, Architectural Engineering majors (code 607700) register for ARE 398R. Once a student registers for 398R, registration must be repeated until graduation. It is required by the Graduate School that you be registered for 398R during the semester that you receive your degree.

Early in the semester you plan to graduate you should read about graduation guidelines and deadlines on the Graduate School website. Included in this material is a list of deadlines you must meet during the semester in order to graduate. The following steps constitute the usual procedure for preparing to graduate:

  1. Register for CE or ARE 398R in your final semester.
  2. Submit a hard copy of your MS Program of Work (POW) form (available on the CAEE website or from the graduate coordinator) to the graduate coordinator prior to filling out the Master’s Graduation Application Form online.The actual time frame for submission is set by the Graduate School. After you have submitted your online graduation application, your electronic POW will automatically be sent to your Graduate Coordinator and Advisor for approval. Your electronic POW will then be submitted to the Graduate School to be made a part of your permanent record. Students will be required to have a GPA of at least 3.0 for courses included on the POW.
  3. Upload a pdf of your report to the Texas Digital Library (TDL) by the last class day. A format check of your report is recommended before turning in your work. No extensions to the deadline will be granted.

If, after filing for graduation, you find that you will not complete the degree requirements that semester, you should notify the Graduate School and the Graduate Coordinator. A new Master’s Graduation Application Form must be submitted at the beginning of the next semester you hope to graduate.

Printable pdf